Tuesday, June 2, 2009

An Introduction

Hello, and welcome to Past Repasts.  The goal of this blog is to unearth ancient and obscure recipes, recreate them, and then – of course – to eat the finished product.  I have no doubt that I will make a lot of horrible, horrible food, but I also hope to find some forgotten gems of deliciousness.


My Rules:

(1)  Try to stick to the original ingredients:  The goal is to recreate the dish as near as possible to how it was originally made.  If I can’t find a required ingredient, I will find a good substitute.

(2)  Try to stick to original technology:  I will allow myself the stove and the oven, since building earth ovens and fires every week sounds like I bit much.  However, I will try not to use electric mixers, food processors, etc.

(3) No Geographic Boundaries:  Recipes from any country are acceptable.  Any recipe older than 1800 is fair game.  The older the better.

 

I expect to be challenged by obscure ingredients, foreign languages, and crappy penmanship.  It's going to be fun.

 

Next Entry:

Barley Gruel: 50 million orphans can’t be wrong... Can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment